How To Find Good Travel Guides and Pick a Group Tour
I did a Facebook live video asking for travel questions and got these two questions from Geri.
- Where is the best place to find authentic (not touristy) guides?
- Is it better to travel with a large group and do your own thing if the mood hits, or design a custom vacation?
Geri is planning a 4 person trip to Italy and Spain.
In this video I answer her questions. Below the video I’ve written my key points.
- Authentic tourist guides work for established companies, with small groups, and use ear buds in crowded areas. Look for companies that advertise limited group size, pre-purchased tickets to venues, and experienced guides.
- Hire private guides through your hotel’s concierge if you have not planned ahead of time (I don’t recommend this because good guides get booked well ahead of time).
- Contact us for help with arranging private or small group tours almost anywhere.
- Group tours versus custom, individualized travel depends on your price point and your experience as a traveller.
- You will often get better value, even at the high end, booking a group versus making individualized reservations.
- Individualized travel means you handle your luggage, find your own ground transportation, bargain for your taxis, find your way on bus systems, discover your own restaurants, and vet your own hotels.
- Group travel comes in 3 levels – entirely on your own except for pre-booking hotel and ground transportation, or mid-level groups of a small size with about half a day each day of guided touring plus free time each day to do what you wish, or full-bore every second of every day planned group travel in moderate to larger sized groups. Knowing which companies offer which level is what we travel agents know, so contact us for help if you want a group experience that meets what will please you most.
No matter what type of travel you do, remember that #travelchangeslife.