Let’s begin by saying that Marriott properties are not our first choice, mainly because if they do have a concierge floor we find that their hours are not traveller-friendly, especially over weekends.
But having said that, we booked 2 nights at the Courtyard Marriott Miami Beach South Beach because of its location – just a few blocks from where we were meeting for a first-of-the-year brainstorming session with a fellow entrepreneur.
This property is located in the heart of South Beach, and the pricing reflects that – including a generous valet parking fee of $36 plus tax per night. The best rate we could find for early January was $247 per night, and as with any other hotel in South Beach there are approximately $25 per night additional charges due to taxes. The hotel offers a pool (we didn’t use it) up on top and a Bistro (no free breakfasts here) in the lobby with overpriced coffee and not-very-tasty breakfast pastries.
- Great location right on Washington Avenue, within walking distance to many restaurants and shops (and directly across the street from a strip joint if you are so inclined).
- Just a few blocks from the beach
- Staff are pleasant and helpful for the most part, although when asked to recommend a restaurant all we got was “all the restaurants in South beach are excellent, ma’am.” That is not true and not helpful.
- Comfortable mattress
- Plenty of hot water in the shower
- Ramped entry from street and ramp in lobby makes rolling luggage easy to use
- Tiny, dated rooms with mid-century style furniture that needs refurbishing
- Small bed pillows that are not comfortable
- Bathroom vent fan that made a lot of noise but was entirely ineffective in circulating moist air out of the room
- High priced parking
- Free wi-fi in the room sort of – slow speed and if you want better speed you have to pay a premium
- Older toilet (at least in our room) that is low to the floor
This is an old property; in my opinion the rooms need gutting and refurbishing. Marriott has put their money into updating the public lobby areas but less into the sleeping rooms. The public areas are comfortable and updated.
Would we stay there again? Yes, if we needed to be well located for meeting nearby. If we were looking for beach time we’d probably look for something a block closer to the sand.
If you have questions about this property you can contact the Operations Manager, Camille Dehaney, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to book this property? Click here to go to bookings, then click on hotels, and enter this property’s address (1530 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139).